19333 WILMOTT DR BENEDICT, MD 20612
- 3 Beds
- 2 Baths
- 1724 sq.ft.
Benedict can be found on the eastern edge of Charles County, Maryland, along the banks of the Patuxent River. This town started out as a small fishing village in the 17th century. During the War of 1812, the British Army landed in Benedict to start their march to Washington, D.C. that culminated in the burning of the capital. During the Civil War, Benedict was the location of Camp Stanton where the Maryland 19th Regiment of the United States Colored Troops were trained and stationed. At the time, the Union purchased slaves from nearby plantations that wanted to earn their freedom by becoming soldiers. In 1864, this regiment fought in the Battle of the Wilderness to great distinction. Movies like Glory (1989 film) pay tribute to these African descendants who fought for their right to be considered American.
Today, Benedict is a quiet riverside town with a few seafood restaurants, a Catholic church that performs mass in Latin, and is adjacent to the Benedict Bridge linking it to Calvert County, Maryland on MD Route 231. There are a few marinas and the Patuxent River surrounds the southern end of Benedict creating a peninsula. Contact Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices McNelis Group Properties to learn more about Benedict, Maryland!
Information is supplied by seller and other third parties and has not been verified. All information provided is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed. All properties are subject to prior sale or withdrawal. Data may not be reproduced or redistributed and may not be used for any purpose other than consumers’ personal, non-commercial use. Copyright